Halloween is a time for fun, but parents and children should consider some suggestions from the Vernon Hills Police Crime Prevention Unit to make the holiday as safe as possible.
These tips include:
- Adults should always accompany young children
- Parents should plan trick-or-treating in familiar neighborhoods
- Children should be instructed to never accept rides from strangers or other children they do not know or parents had not planned rides with
- Use make-up instead of masks to provide a clear line of vision for children
- Wear light colored, non-flammable costumes, and provide a flash light for children when it gets dark
- Advise children to watch for traffic, adults driving during Halloween trick-or-treat hours should practice extreme caution
- Children should be instructed to wait for parents to inspect their candy before eating it
- Children should not enter homes unless it is known by parents or relatives
- Do not invite trick-or-treaters in your home
If you have questions regarding Halloween safety, contact the Vernon Hills Crime Prevention Unit at 847-247-4889.
Information provided by Vernon Hills Police Department Crime Prevention Unit.